Fall is known as fire season in Southern California. The vegetation is dry from the hot days of summer and the Santa Ana winds begin to blow. As a SoCal native I remember well as a child looking out our back window and seeing flames moving our way. While Southern California is known for wildfires, they can happen just about anywhere. It is time to take steps to protect your home and valuables against wildfire. At Maximum Security Safes we can help you in this effort with a safe for the home, but there are many other important protective steps to take as well.
- Family Disaster Plan. Create a plan that includes meeting locations and systems of communication. Review the plan with family members regularly. Keep a copy of the plan handy and a back up in your home safe. Most if not all of the items below should be covered in the plan.
- Fire Extinguishers. Have them on hand and be sure your family knows where there are and how to use them.
- Emergency Contact Phone Numbers. Keep a list of emergency contact numbers posted near the phone or somewhere convenient and safe.
- Shut-off Controls. Ensure that your family knows where your gas, electric, and water main shut-off controls are and how to use them.
- Escape Routes. Identify safe escape routes from each room in the house.
- Home Emergency Supply Kit. Assemble a kit that can be easily taken with you.
- Car Emergency Supply Kit. Keep an extra emergency supply kit in your car in case you can’t get into your home.
- Meeting Location. Designate an emergency meeting location outside of the immediate area that all your family members know is the place to gather.
- Out-of-Area Contact. Identify a friend or relative that lives outside the area through whom you can communicate with family members.
- Portable Radio. Have a portable radio handy so you can stay updated on the fire.
- Home Safe. Keep critical documents and valuables in a fire resistive home safe so if the worst happens they will be protected.
Fires happen, so let’s be prepared. For more information contact the Orange County Fire Authority and their Ready, Set, Go program.
We at Maximum Security would be happy to consult with you about what kind of safe for the home would be best for your needs. Most of our customers find that a safe with both burglar and fire protection is a great solution to their security needs. Call us today and take the first step in preparing for fire season.